About Designing a Test Automation Framework :
For a matured and well-equipped Quality assurance team, automation acts as a major component which enhances their abilities to deliver the expected results for the business software requirements. It helps them achieve perfect product quality in the lesser time and fewer resources.
Automation Framework Design is generally a multi-stage systematic approach which is utilized in the creation of a designing framework for any organization.
Why Automation Framework Design is an Art
With the contribution of the dedicated team of engineers, the methods of deploying multiple tasks and operations are specified for any enterprise while designing Automation Framework. In simple words, it is the process of standardization of multiple small entities into a single entity.
Some automation operations are –
- Combining all business processes
- Providing definitions to every entity/operation
- Documenting things
- Flexibility enhancement in operations
- Leveraging reusability of modules
- Automation Feasibility Study
- Designing Test cases
- Automation Execution
Doing these all operations altogether along with a lot more things, Automation Framework Design is nonetheless an art, being practiced through multiple engineers and machines.
What differences do the Deployment a Solid Framework makes?
When you have a strong base, appropriate documentation, and comprehensive test library, it makes a big difference. There are always proper scripting standards prepared for the multiple operations like business tests, system checks, recovery standards (e. g. data checkpointing) and more.
It helps in the elimination of duplicate or standalone spaghetti code, resulting in improvement of performance optimization of processes. Also, the adoption of standards for the organizational operations brings excellence with it. For example, If an employee is leaving your company, there will be no additional load on the newcomers as standard practices are being utilized already in the organization.
The implemented scripts are reusable and script versioning is implemented when framework implementation is standard. It causes lesser efforts in re-doing the repeating tasks along with maintaining the robustness of the whole system.
A step of Automated Framework Design
Automation framework designing is a well-structured process, which creates a fully-fledged system through multiple steps, as arrayed below –
- The utilities and components of the system, which should exhibit different functionalities, are identified.
- Data flow strategy and input data stores are planned.
- Communication plans for the environment and components are prepared.
- Scope and types of testing are determined
- Decision-making phase, where ‘what should be automated and what not’ is decided
- Rules, validations, communication standards, data retrieval norms, and functions are designed
- Error handling mechanism design and Logs maintenance system for the better analysis
- Testing Approach Adoption
- Refining of the processes and elements of a framework
Industries Utilizing Automation
Industries like banking, e-commerce, retail, healthcare, travel, insurance, packaging and many independent vendors are adopting the framework for the betterment of their business operations, in order to achieve business intelligence.
The technical artisans, by creating a fully-functional Automation Framework, beautify the business and coding processes. It is, therefore, an art being practiced to make the technically-operated environments stunning – in functionality and for human resources.